Monday, August 10, 2009

My garden


This year I decided to have a garden. In my garden I would have cucumbers, beans, tomatos, corn, potato's and bell peppers. Righttttt! lol My corn grew some, it still has a couple months to go. The tomatos, well you can see in the pics they're actually doing quite well. I have 3 types of tomatos. But everything else just didn't seem to do anything. My bell pepper plants are alive, but no fruit on them at all. Besides those 3 the others just didn't grow at all. Well this only has me more determined to have a fabulous garden next year. Oh I almost forgot the onions! I did plant onions thinking they wouldn't grow and I cant believe it but they're growing!


I planted Big Boys, cherry and big yellows. The cherry tomatos really have taken off like wild fire! They're super tall, I had to put stakes in to keep them from laying on the ground. They have tons of tomatos on the plants too.


I am going to have to find me a good sauce recipe. I want stew some and make sauce with some for canning. Since my cucumbers too a dive, I'm going to be buying pickling cucumbers and canning some homemade sweet and dill pickles. I'm also going to buy string beans and pickle some of those too. If anyone has any good recipes please feel free to leave them in the comments.

I'm already starting to think of ways to make a better garden next spring. One thing is Ill be starting some of the plants way ahead of time, indoors. Ill also be buying some plants, so I don't have all of one vegetable not come up. I'm going to have built raised beds, probably a foot off the ground and Ill have dirt brought in for filling them in. I dont want to fight with the grass and weeds and I think this will be one way I can avoid that.

I honestly don't think this is a bad first attempt. I cant hardly wait for the first ones to be ripe enough to pick :) So how many of you keep gardens? Does anyone even read this? lol

No comments: