Saturday, August 8, 2009

Long day today!

We drove down to the middle of Michigan for my husbands grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. Spent most of the day down there, it was so crowded!

I got to thinking about 60 yrs of being married. The average marriage these days lasts about 3-5 yrs and then people throw in the towel. It got me wondering about whether it was real love, soul mates or was it just that people from their day and age just didn't get divorced? People get divorced for many different reasons of course, but Ive never met anyone who was married for that long. My parents have been married for 48 yrs and my dad was married before he met my mother. Theirs was the longest I had known until I got married. I think it's incredible to spend that many years with someone.

For me, I know I found my soul mate, although I would love to lock him in a closet on occasion and forget he's there lol But all in all he's been a great husband. Loving, caring, supportive, all the things a good husband is supposed to be. I was married twice before I met my husband. Long story short, husband #1, married too young, he was abusive, I made it out alive. Husband #2 thought I was trying to not have children when I actually had cancer and didn't know it, he left me for a stripper who turned out to be a drug addict and now she has the kid and he pays for her drugs (child support). This is my husbands second marriage. He was unhappily married for 10 yrs and decided in the end that having children was not a good enough reason to stay in misery and they divorced. Age was a factor for them, he was 17 and she 18 when they got married.

It just seems that people give up on marriage so easily. Sometimes there are other circumstances that prove you should get divorced, everyone has a reason, but Ive seen friends give up after just a couple of years. For superficial reasons at that. Had they stuck it out, they could have become a perfectly happy couple together for the rest of their lives, who knows? They sure wont, they gave up.

So in the end I'm left with a question to ponder over. What factor is it that makes a marriage work out and last a lifetime? I may never know the answer to that. I don't know that anyone really has the answer.

No comments: